They'd been a few nights out on the road since they escaped the imperial forces besieging Figaro Castle. After passing through the southern caves of the desert, they were greeted by a breathtaking view of the open ocean at the port town of South Figaro. Although they hadn't been too long since they were at a settlement with amenities, they were nonetheless grateful to be back in civilization.
Edgar arranged for their lodging at the local inn, though it turned out vacancy was in high demand. Thankfully, the innkeeper was able to spare them the two rooms they needed. Gender helped everyone decide the sleeping arrangements for the evening.
But as one problem went, another came in, as the two women were soon confronted with the dilemma of a singular queen bed instead of the two twins Edgar and Locke had for their room.
"...Man." Mary ran her palm upwards across her face and through her wild brown hair. "Just throw in another thing to worry about to the pile, why don't you..."
Terra stood almost hesitantly at the door of their shared room, her travel pack held loosely in her hands. "I didn't think there would be only one bed for us here." Her eyes went to the floorboards at her feet. "I can take the floor, if you'd like—"
"No. Nuh-uh. Absolutely not!" Mary refused vehemently. "Ain't no way am I letting you sleep on anything that isn't that bed, so you can stop right there about sleeping on the floor."
The reaction left Terra somewhat taken aback, though she didn't try to protest as to not upset Mary further. Moving further inside, she set down her pack on the chair by the door.
"It's quite a large bed, for me. If you're comfortable, we could share the space..."
Mary flinched slightly at the suggestion (it wasn't even a suggestion; it was the only viable option), though she quickly regained her composure by clearing her throat. "Y-Yeah, that's fine. Wouldn't be too different from sharing a tent, anyways. Just..." Her cobalt gaze went to the bedsheets. "Just it's on... A bed, this time."
"Mhm." Terra smoothened the quilt with her hand, getting a feel for how soft the fabric is. "It will be nice to not wake up with sand in my clothes for once."
They took turns washing up, with Terra having gone first. Half an hour passed before Terra emerged from the bathroom, dressed in her nightgown while having a towel wrapped around her hair.
Mary's somewhat bored expression shifted into one of evident interest in the other woman's appearance. The way porcelain skin flushed pink on Terra's cheeks and joints, how the floral nightgown suited her, and Magi be damned, even the way her wavy hair and curls cascaded down her shoulders when she freed them from her towel—
Swallowing, Mary suddenly felt way too aware of how she's staring.
"I feel much more refreshed," Terra sighed, her voice breaking the reverie. "The bathroom is all yours now."
"O-Oh," The swordswoman almost sputtered her next words. "Yeah. Um. Right. Glad your shower was good." She nearly fumbled for her change of clothes. "I'll clean up, then."
The trailing scents of clean soap and warm steam wafted in the air, contrasting with the weathered and albeit dusty atmosphere of their bedroom. As Mary shut the door behind her, Terra settled before the small vanity table, carefully combing through her emerald hair while peering through the glass window down to the busy, lantern-lit streets below. Even with the sun having gone down, South Figaro was alive and bustling with activity: merchants marketing their wares, throngs of parents and children out on a night stroll, and the small groups of threes and fours talking about rounds of beer and hanging out in the local pub at the end of a busy work day.
The sight left her fascinated and in awe. She could only wonder if she ever came from a city like this in the past.
Much like she's done the last few days, she began another attempt walking down the echoing hallways of her forgotten memories. Doors of all shapes and sizes line down as far as her mind's eye could see, yet she hadn't even a single key to open a single one. It was discouraging, to say the least, knowing how they remained out of reach for her still. She's grateful though that her allies have, thus far, been supportive and optimistic that she would remember her past in due time.
Soon enough, Mary stepped out of the shower as well. Rather than being in the inn-provided nightgown, she had opted for a shirt and her underwear, seemingly more in her element than she would have been.
Terra didn't expect her to forego the dressier option, though. "Won't you feel too cold at night with just those on?"
"I just don't like wearing those things." Mary gestured towards Terra's nightgown as she sits at the edge of the bed. "That stuff isn't for me. Besides, I don't get too cold too easily."
Following their evening post-shower rituals, they both turned in for the night. They had an early start in the morning, as Edgar was hot on the trail of some rumors about a local martial artist master. Neither women had any objections; Terra was safer in their collective company, and Mary was just coming along for the ride anyway.
Unfortunately for the wanderer, sleep was rather... Difficult to come by this evening. Comfortable as the bed was, her thoughts couldn't stop going to the other woman laying in bed beside her. Even with her back turned away from Terra, it was hard for her not to think about the fact that she was sharing a bed with someone for a change.
In the tent, they had their own sleeping rolls. But here...
Still, it was a preferrable arrangement to sleeping on the road again, for now. It was rare for her to have a roof over her head given her lifestyle. She would take whatever she could get, even if it meant... Putting up with the embarrassment of sleeping next to somebody in the same bed.
"Mary?" The shy voice was enough to make her ears perk up in attention. "I... Just wanted to apologize."
"Hm? For what?"
"Well..." She can feel Terra shifting lower into the sheets, as if to hide herself from the lingering awkwardness between them. "You just... Seemed so upset that we would be sleeping together on the bed. I didn't want you to feel like you had to put up with it..."
"Well..." She can feel Terra shifting lower into the sheets, as if to hide herself from the lingering awkwardness between them. "You just... Seemed so upset that we would be sleeping together on the bed. I didn't want you to feel like you had to put up with it..."
Oh, no. "No, no." Had she really been that obvious? Then again, it wasn't like she tried to be discreet either. "It's not... It's fine. I'm just not used to being in a bed with anybody." That wasn't a lie, at least. "I should be the one apologizing for making you think it was all a bad thing. Besides..." She shuddered a little in dread at her next thought, "I think I'd rather this than you sleeping in the same bed with either of the guys anyway."
"Ah... I see." Terra didn't really understand what that might have meant, but she's nonetheless relieved that Mary isn't upset about the whole thing between them. "Thank you for... Not minding."
"It's all good, Terra," Mary shrugged, finding the conversation helping to loosen her up a little bit as well. "As long as you're comfortable then... I don't mind. Really."
An easy silence settled between them, the awkward tension having lifted thanks to their newfound understanding. The liveliness of the port city outside and the tavern below had since died down in the past hour, making way for the serene lullaby of waves lapping against the shore.
"...I'm glad. I do feel safer knowing I'm not by myself tonight."
"Mm."
Fabric rustled with movement as Terra sighed deeply, her voice a sleepy-soft tone when she spoke again.
"Your hair smells... Really nice. Like..." A hum. "I can smell a mix of soap and the smoke from our campfires when I breathe it in..."
"Wh—" Mary was grateful for both the darkness, and the fact that she's turned away from the woman behind her. "That's so random. Where'd that come from?"
"Is it? I'm sorry. I couldn't help it..." Terra's body instinctively huddled closer for more warmth. "It's just a really... Comforting smell to fall asleep to..."
"Comforting how?"
"It... Makes me feel safe... Protected, even when it's dark. Especially knowing that—hmm..." A yawn, followed by a happy sigh. "You're near..."
Twisting herself around enough to look at her, Mary was about to balk in protest, clearly unused to the compliment. Already, she was deflecting it in her head out of impulse.
"Now that is just some—"
Any retorts she might have had, however, dissolved quickly into the ether at the sight of the peacefully sleeping Terra, whose chest rose and fell with her steady breathing.
Oh.
Mary settled herself back down into the quilt, seeing no point in making a big deal out of words that were borne of delirium. Terra was asleep now anyway, so whatever Mary had to say wouldn't really matter to someone who couldn't hear her.
"Mm..." Terra leaned into the curve of Mary's back, resting her head against it and causing the swordswoman to seize up. "Warm..."
Magi above, they were so close. But Mary couldn't bring herself to shy away, nor could she bring herself to nudge Terra away either, not wanting to inadvertently wake her after she finally drifted off.
Ah, what the heck.
Snorting out a soft chuckle of acceptance, Mary backed slightly into Terra's warmth behind her. The slender arms that mindlessly wrapped around her waist soon proved to be a comfort she didn't mind having for the rest of the night.
It's just for tonight.
"Goodnight, Terra."
This is fine.
---
More self-indulgent treats for my own consumption, featuring my OC Mary with Terra. π
I finished the art pretty quickly, but had to delay the post because I couldn't stop writing this little story to go with it. Got a bit stuck a few times trying to write it down, and I tried not to make it feel too rushed in terms of pacing.
I'm really happy to see them both interacting. π But I'm happier knowing I can move on to the next art piece for the challenge... π
%20Sketches%204.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment